Since writing about the PawTracks TireBiter by Mammoth Pet Products, in which we gave it 5 stars for durability, but not much else, we’ve been getting a steady stream of comments about how the toy has made their dogs sick. We never experienced any issues like that, but our dogs just didn’t play with the toy much, and we found it to have an oily foul smell, like an actual car tire. After hearing some of our readers comments, we threw out the toy. It seems that some dogs are actually tearing the tire to bits, or shredding it, and swallowing pieces of it, which is making them vomit.
One reader, Rose, submitted this comment:
“My daughter chose the Tire Biter for my Doberman as one of her first Birthday presents. It seemed like a fun toy at first but the next day she started to chew it apart and an hour later started to vomit and vomit and vomit. The poor dog was scared and shaking. This is a terrible toy, if your dog is a big time chewer! Don’t purchase it! I now know to research toys before I purchase. The Tire Biter reads safe and non-toxic, someone should make them remove it from the shelves.”
We just bought the tire biter for a 1 1/2 year old Dachshund that wieghts about 9 pounds. After chewing on the toy for less than 10 min he had eaten part of the rubber and has been throwing up for several hours. My wife is calling the vet! I would not recommend this toy!
I bought this toy for my mastiff, rottweiler, pit bull mix. and within 20 minutes it was torn up and he vomited about seven times. It has been two days now and he hasnt had a appetite and is laying around (which it the complete opposite of him) I am going to have to take him to the vet. I researched this toy and it has made a lot of dogs sick. IT NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OFF THE SHELVES!!!
And just today, Mike wrote:
I bought one for our 11 month old female yellow lab, who is a big-time chewer-we watched her play with it, she liked to play tug-of-war with it, and ran around the house with it in her mouth, thrilled with it from all appearances…we went to bed around midnight, she also took her spot on her bed tired out from playing, then-we were awakened at 2 AM by the sound of her vomiting at the door. The ‘tirebiter’ toy was in shreds, with small pieces all over the floor. If I had any idea this thing could be destroyed like this, I never would have bought it and i strongly recommend no one buy this, it is dangerous and poorly made.
I took a look around the web and found some other reviews with similar reports on Buzzilions, PetSmart, and Amazon. Yikes, that’s pretty scary stuff! I hope Mammoth Pet Products removes this product from the shelves, but in the meantime, please spread the word that this toy is not at all safe for your pet!
This is part of the Saturday Pet Blogger Hop! See who else is here! Read more